SportPesa Cup: Mbao shock Gor Mahia in sudden death

Mbao FC produced the biggest shock of all when the side making their debut in the SportPesa Cup defeated the defending champions Gor Mahia in sudden death penalties in the two side’s opening fixture played on Wednesday 23 January at the National Stadium in Dar Es Salaam.

After a 1-1 draw in normal time, the match went straight into penalties where the home side prevailed 4-3 with captain David Mwasa netting the decisive kick after his counterpart Harun Shakava and Shafik Batambuze had missed for the Kenyan side.

Dennis Oliech and Abubakar Ngalema netted in the second half to send the game into sudden death.

After an attack-laden half from Gor, the standout point of the first half apart from the defending champions exerting their presence in the game from early on and creating the half’s better chances, was Hassan Oktay’s sending off midway through the stanza after protesting Erisa Ssekisambu’s disallowed goal in the 18th minute; the goal being ruled offside after the Ugandan had reacted quickest to Oliech’s effort that had come off the crossbar.

K’ogalo would have been out of sight by half time with the clear cut chances that they created and the home side went into the half time break the most satisfied of the two.

The game would spring into life in the second half with the fans, comprised mostly of those from Simba SC awaiting their team’s encounter against AFC Leopards, urging Mbao on but it would be K’ogalo who would break the deadlock through Oliech, who converted a 51st minute penalty after Ally Kombo had been adjudged to have handled in the area.

The goal would not deter the Mwanza based side and in the 76th minute, they would get a breakthrough after Abubakar Ngalema converted a low cross from the right to shock the green army and send the crowd into rapture.

Known as the Wabishi wa Towni, the Town Rebels, Mbao cemented the nickname of upsetting the bigwigs by sending the game into penalties where they would prevail 4-3.

Leave a Reply