Match day 14 of the National Super League (NSL) played on Wednesday 13 February saw Wazito FC strengthen their hold on top spot by extending their lead to three points thanks to a commanding 4-0 whitewash of Green Commandos to take advantage of second place Ushuru’s 0-0 draw with St. Joseph Youth.
An explosive opening half from Wazito at the Bukhungu Stadium in Kakamega saw all four goals scored. Joe Waithira, David Oswe, Derrick Onyango and Dennis Gicheru powered Ahmed Muchulla’s charges to the win that lifts them to 34 points.
Holding a one point advantage coming into the round, Wazito are now three points clear of Ushuru who extended their winless run now to three matches after being held at the Afraha Stadium by hosts St. Joseph.
Up until match day 11, Ushuru were top of the standings but two draws and a loss have stunted their surge allowing others to catch up.
Taking advantage also is Talanta and Kisumu All Stars both who secured similar 2-1 wins against Nairobi City Stars and Coast Stima to move to within three and four points of Ushuru respectively.
Talanta saw off City Stars at the Camp Toyoyo thanks to goals from Paul Karuri and Chris Owino with Sande Katumba grabbing a consolation for City Stars while Shadrack Omondi and Ian Motanda netted for All Stars in Mombasa to cancel out Paul Ndara’s opener.
Talanta now lie fourth with 28 points, same as third place Nairobi Stima who defeated bottom side Kangemi All Stars 1-0 while Kisumu All Stars are a point behind in fifth place.
It was not all doom and gloom for Mombasa based sides in the division as Modern Coast Rangers saw off Bidco United 2-1 at the Serani grounds. Goals from Francis Ochola and George Owiti either side of half time sandwiched Dickens Muema’s equalizer to hand Bidco their fourth loss in six outings.
The win has Rangers (12) now level with Bidco (10) at 18 points but goal difference separates them.
Below are all the results of the round;
- St. Joseph’s Youth 0-0 Ushuru (Afraha Stadium)
- Coast Stima 1-2 Kisumu All Stars (Mbaraki Sports Club)
- Modern Coast Rangers 2-1 Bidco United (Serani Sports Ground)
- Nairobi City Stars 1-2 FC Talanta (Camp Toyoyo)
- Kibera Black Stars 1-2 Thika United (Camp Toyoyo)
- Kangemi All Stars 0-1 Nairobi Stima (Camp Toyoyo)
- Kenya Police 2-0 Eldoret Youth (Karuturi Grounds)
- Migori Youth 1-3 Administration Police (Awendo Stadium)
- Fortune Sacco 2-1 Shabana (Thika Stadium)
- Green Commandos 4-0 Wazito (Bukhungu Stadium)