Gor Mahia are on the verge of claiming their second, third successive league crown this decade and can do so with victory over Vihiga United in a round 32 league fixture to be played at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos from 4:15PM.
Gor lead the league with 69 points, eight points more than their closest challengers and only need two points to claim this season’s title with two games to spare.
The game against relegation threatened Vihiga United, which is the second game of a planned double header at the ground, could therefore be their crowing moment and will be aired live on KTN News as well as the KPL’s official Facebook handle.
A win for Gor will mean the title for them but to their opponents it will almost certainly mean that their goose has been cooked in terms of their topflight status is concerned.
Vihiga lie second from bottom with 25 points, five points adrift of safety and three adrift of the relegation playoff slot.
A defeat for them and a win for Chemelil Sugar, who lie fourth from bottom, against Sofapaka in the venue’s early kickoff will mean that the only way Vihiga can maintain their topflight status for a third successive season, will be through the playoffs.
Zoo FC currently occupy that slot with 28 points and will be up against Tusker FC on Thursday at the Ruaraka grounds.
The above means that Vihiga’s survival hopes are out of their hands.
Below are the round’s full fixtures;
- Sofapaka vs Chemelil Sugar FC – Machakos – 2 PM (Live on KTN Burudani and Facebook)
- Mathare United vs Bandari – Kasarani – 3 PM
- Ulinzi Stars vs Kariobangi Sharks – Nakuru – 3 PM
- Western Stima vs Posta Rangers – Kisumu – 3 PM
- Kakamega Homeboyz vs Sony Sugar FC – Bukhungu – 2 PM
- Gor Mahia vs Vihiga United – Machakos – 4:15 PM (Live on KTN News and Facebook)
- Nzoia Sugar FC vs KCB FC – Sudi – 3 PM
- Tusker FC vs Zoo FC – Ruaraka – 3 PM
- Mt Kenya United vs AFC Leopards – Machakos – 3 PM