KTN News confirmed as KPL’s FTA partner for 2019/20 season

As the 2019/20 season heads to the opening week of matches, the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) and Free-to-air broadcaster KTN have entered a season-long agreement to have KTN News as the official FTA partner.

With the league management entering its third year of partnership with MediaPro for the production of league matches, KPL CEO Jack Oguda revealed that KTN News will be airing a pick of the top flight matches in every round.

FTA partner

“We have entered an agreement with KTN News for the season, to work with us as the FTA partner and they will be airing at least a game in every round, or at some point double headers,” Oguda told Soka.

As the league managers seek sponsorships for the top flight, following SportPesa’s withdrawal, the partnership with KTN News seems the only revenue channel for KPL at the moment through the advertising proceeds.

In terms of allocation of the monies received, Oguda said it will be upon the KPL Governing Council’s discretion.

Governing Council

The Governing Council is the decision making body of KPL. While we expect to get some proceeds from advertising, their allocation will be determined by the council as a KPL policy.

Usually, the Governing Council dedicates 80% of its earnings on investing in the game, including payment of referees, while the remaining 20% goes to administrative duties.

On the opening weekend of the season, two matches will be aired live – the double header in Kisumu, which will see Kisumu All Stars take on Ulinzi Stars and Gor Mahia face off with Tusker on Saturday 31 August.