KPL Goals: Braces return, Own Goals surface as Week Three hits 21

Week Three of the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) concluded last evening with everyone active over the weekend of September 21st to 22nd. Strikers are back to accurately finding the back of the net as goals three times more than those recorded in round two were scored; two of those, braces.

2009 league champions Sofapaka claimed a giant 4-0 win over sugar millers Chemelil at the Narok County Stadium, and a brace recoded here as Brian Nyakan opened his account for the season. Timona Wanyonyi had given Sofa the lead and Elli Asieche doubled it from the spot. Late on in the tie, Nyakan- in his second stint at Batoto Ba Mungu, did a brace.

The round’s second brace happens in Kakamega as Allan Wanga took his tally to three for the season. Having been given the lead by defender Kennedy Onyango, Wanga rose the highest to head in a free-kick and later on compounded to Kariobangi Sharks’ woes with his second an Homeboyz’s third of the clash.

Allan Wanga (R) was again on the mark on Sunday [IMAGE- Fabian Odhiambo]

The above two were all Sunday matches.

Saturday only had three matches active, and three teams emerging victorious. John Mark Makwatta opened his season account for AFC Leopards against Wazito FC in Bukhungu from the spot after a challenge in the box. In Kisumu, Leonard Kasembeli’s early strike set Nzoia Sugar on their way to a 2-0 win against Kisumu All Stars which was completed by Collins Wakhungu.

Ulinzi Stars visit to Mathare United ended with the soldiers scoring two goals but losing the tie 2-1. George Omondi’s own goal had been canceled by a sumptuous Daniel Waweru free-kick for 1-1, but it is here that United took the initiative by scoring the winner through Clifford Alwanga at the death.

Tusker were out on Sunday in Kericho- a dicey fixture against hosts Zoo FC but it is here that Robert Matano’s men recorded their first win. This, however, is something they had to do from behind as a Rodgers Aloro own goal had sent the hosts into the lead. The Brewers rallied from behind through captain Timothy Otieno who latched onto a loose back pass to fire home for 1-1 and new signing Luke Namanda’s stoppage-time winner.

Makwatta was the difference between Wazito and AFC Leopards [IMAGE- Courtesy AFC Leopards SC]

At the Awendo Green Stadium, Bandari FC struck early and held on for a dear lead as the Dockers made away with three points- all credits to Darius Msagha’s header. No more goals would be scored in this match.

Western Stima’s visit to Posta Rangers was the other tie to see just one goal as Salim Babu’s men made no mistake from a counter-attack to notch the winner through Ugandan import Oromcan Villa.

The final clash of Sunda had holders Gor Mahia playing hosts to Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) at the Machakos County Stadium. Gor won 2-1, all goals scored in the first half.

Ghanaian import Francis Afriyie fired the champions into the lead from close range, one that was doubled by on-form midfielder Lawrence Juma with a thunderbolt from the edge of the box. KCB pulled one back from the spot before the break through Enock Agwanda. The match would, however, stay this was to the end.