All Stars CEO: We have failed the players

Kisumu All Stars Chief Executive Officer Mr. Nicholas Ochieng feels they have been a big let down to the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) side’s players, who- since signing their work contracts in November 2019, have not received their salaries.

In a presser called by the All Stars supremo- mainly to announce huge changes in the Technical Bench, the CEO admits that the financial bug hit hard but it was something they had to contend with as everything had to be done procedurally.

”The financial challenges in the team we cannot run away from. I explained to players last week and even had a meeting with them this morning. As management, we have failed them. We have to admit that we have terribly failed,” says Ochieng.

The All Stars unit, who have only won twice in 15 times in Kenya’s highest division of football, have in recent times made their feelings about the entire situation felt including threatening not to honor their round 14 clash against Gor Mahia. The CEO however, reveals that all the paperwork that had been a stumbling block between the players and their dues has been dealt with and they will be soon receiving their salaries.

CEO: We may be adding four or five players but this also depends on the number of players that we will retain [IMAGE- Fabian Odhiambo]
”I want to say categorically on this matter that as a county government who are the employers of these players, they got contracts and the paperwork took so long. We had to follow all the procedures, unfortunately. So we have failed them in this aspect that it has taken some bit of time to get this paperwork ready,” he continues.

”I can, however, say authoritatively that this may come to a close by the end of this week on Friday. By the close of this week or early next week, all the dues will have been paid. This comes from none other than the governor who has given us his assurance.”

The mid-season transfer window swung open on the first day of January 2020 and with the financial constraints at the club, many players have been rumored to be on their way out. The CEO confirms this and adds that they are looking at strengthening a few areas in the team based on the numbers that will opt to stay.

”We intend to strengthen our defense and striking departments. We may be adding four or five players but this also depends on the number of players that we will retain,” says Mr. Ochieng.

In the Monday afternoon presser, Mr. Ochieng revealed that All Stars had parted ways with coach Henry Omino, assistant Andrew Aroka, and goalkeeper trainer Joseph Ongoro. Dutch-trained Arthur Opiyo has been named interim coach of the side and will be assisted by Francis Oduor who maintains his assistant coach role.