Eight Kenyan Premier League (KPL) clubs will not take part in this season’s Football Kenya Federations (FKF) Shield Cup after they failed to register for the tourney with the official preliminary round draw being released on Tuesday 14 January.
Tusker FC, Nzoia Sugar, Chemelil Sugar, Mathare United, Kakamega Homeboyz, Western Stima and Zoo FC will not feature in this season’s tournament which will have betting firm Betway as its title sponsor.
Financial constraints have hit local football hard and taking part in two competitions at once could be a too heavier burden for some of this clubs and hence their absconding.
Defending champions Bandari FC lead the 10 KPL teams in the tournament with the National Super League (NSL) having six representatives.
A total of 48 clubs across all of the football divisions in the country expressed their interest to take part in the tournament that will see the winner earn passage to the CAF Confederations Cup as well as walk away with Kshs 2m in prize money.
KPL and NSL clubs will get a bye through to the last 32 stage with the preliminary round set to kickoff this weekend of 18/19 January.
Below is the full round of 32 that will commence on 15/16 February;
- (Nairobi Water vs Zetech Titans) vs FC Talanta
- (Congo Boys vs Tandaza) vs Posta Rangers
- (Equity vs Balaji EPZ) vs Sofapaka FC
- (Jericho Revelation vs Nation FC) vs Bidco United
- (Kenpoly vs Mwatate United) vs Kariobangi Sharks
- (Kariobangi Sharks B vs Naivas FC) vs Gor Mahia
- (Reunion FC vs KSG Ogopa) vs Bandari
- (FC Shells vs SS Assad) vs Fortune Sacco
- (MMUST vs Keroka Technical) vs Vihiga United
- (Transfoc FC vs Mara Sugar) vs Ushuru
- (Zoo Youth FC vs Sindo United) vs KCB
- (Butali Sugar vs Flamingo) vs Migori Youth
- (Nyabururu Sportif vs Black Diamond) vs Kisumu All-Stars
- (Elim FC vs CUSCO) vs AFC Leopards
- (Soy United vs Dero FC) vs Wazito
- (Luanda Villa vs GDC) vs Ullinzi Stars