Kenyan Premier League (KPL) CEO Jack Oguda says that his office is working with experts from the Ministry of Healthy to provide the way forward for the league after the country confirmed its first Corona Virus case.
Health CS Mutahi Kagwe on Friday 13 March confirmed that a Kenyan citizen who flew to the country from the USA last week tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and the government has therefore gone ahead to issue a directive suspending all public-gatherings.
This unfolding has thrown the local football calendar into doubt with Oguda confirming that the KPL will release a statement before the league resumes for round 24 next week.
“We have engaged experts to work with the ministries of Health and Interior Security who will advise us on the way forward,” Oguda told Soka, “The safety of players, fans and officials is key and before we resume matches next week, we will have a statement to issue the way forward.”
The KPL is set to be in recess this weekend to pave way for the FKF Shield Cup which is said also to be in doubt.
The Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) has also suspended all its leagues after Friday’s confirmation.