Gor Mahia defender a week away from full recovery

Gor Mahia FC defender Wellington Ochieng is on his way to full recovery from a myriad of injuries that have hampered his progress at the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions. He suffered a fractured ankle in 2018 when Gor played Bandari FC, and spent four months out but recovered in time for the 2019-20 Kenyan Premier League (KPL) season.

He was the star of the show in the season opener against Tusker FC, a match Gor won 5-2 but he would again be ruled out with a thigh problem.

He speaks to Soka from rehab, saying he has taken the unfortunate break in the league to fully recover.

”I recovered fully from the very first injury which was a fracture at the ankle. When I returned, I played a little before my thigh started giving me some problems. A one-month physiotherapy session was recommended and I was back playing soon,” he says.

The right-back did not, however, last too long and he would realize that what his knee actually needed was an MRI check. When this was done it was discovered that his knee needed a proper rest and some series of injections.

Ochieng in one of his rehab sessions [IMAGE- Wellington Ochieng]
”My orthopedic recommended rest, and an injection every week for five weeks. I would then begin rehabilitation after that. This was March 25th,” he adds.

Ochieng now has two weeks to go before he can fully resume training with teammates even as this looks like an impossibility due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The champions, like many other premier league clubs, took a break and have their players doing individual training to keep their fitness in check. A program from the coach comes out every few weeks and which players are expected to follow to the letter in their respective sessions at home.

Gor, who lead the Kenyan Premier League table with seven points ahead of second-placed Kakamega Homeboyz, will have Wazito FC next on their roster when the league returns. They are also yet to play their cup match against Posta Rangers.