Wanga on a brace as Homeboyz run riot over Kisumu All Stars

Kakamega Homeboyz FC were 4-0 winners over Kisumu All Stars- visitors on the day, as the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) 2019-20 season resumed on Saturday 4th.

The hosts, playing at the Bukhungu Stadium and kicking off at 3 pm, scored twice in each half, first through Peter Thiong’o and Allan Wanga and second through David Okoth and Wanga who came for his brace.

Micahel Owino was down within two minutes of kick-off after pulling a hamstring. He would need further check-up at the byline. In the 10th minute, Homeboyz could have taken the lead when Peter Thiong’o was released by Mudavadi Moses- returning from national team duties, but his near-post shot was well dealt with by All Stars keeper Geoffrey Were.

Allan Wanga was next up, rising above everyone else to power through a header that was just inches wide. David Okoth had taken the corner kick. Five minutes later, Okoth would himself have the chance to send the hosts up but his right foot shot was well checked by Patrick Otieno who deflected it out for a corner kick.

Homeboyz’s Moses Mudavadi shields the ball away from Martin Oduor of Kisumu All Stars [IMAGE- Fabian Odhiambo]
Playing behind the ball and banking on quick breakaways on the flanks, All Stars had played well to contain the high-flying hosts but would lose parity in the 23rd minute when Thiong’o lobbed the ball over Were for 1-0. Mudavadi had once again, sent a diagonal ball over the All Stars defense.

The visitors upped their tempo a notch higher and had Seth Oyugi in unfamiliar territory in the 37th minute. Scoring what he thought would be the equalizer, Oyugi was disappointed to see the referee call the ball back for an earlier infringement on goalkeeper Gabriel Andika.

It looked as though All Stars had lost themselves in trying to level matters and they would pay for this. Allan Wanga was unchecked midway through the pitch and reluctantly raced a couple of yards before unleashing a thunderbolt that would find the back of the net for 2-0. Two minutes were then played before the half time whistle came.

Second Half

All Stars needed abig second half if they were to grab anything from the match and Mark Kwasira’s 51st minute shot could have set them on their way. Andika punched this oone back into play.

Coach Henry Omino pulled Martin Oduor out in favor of youngster Elisha Owino in a bid tostabilize the midfield. Rock Junior would follow in for Michael Owino as the visitors struggled to punch back.

Peter Thiong’o is checked by Arthur Ochung and Martin Oduor during the match [IMAGE- Fabian Odhiambo]
Perhaps in response, Coach Muyoti Nicholas threw in Shami Mwinyi for Steven Wakhanya at the hour mark and two minutes later, saw his side stretch its lead to three. David Okoth had been having a decent game and only needed a goal to cap it off, this he did in the 63rd minute, rounding up the All Stars defense to fire into the far post.

Dismas Muyela was Omino’s final roll of the dice as he took captain of the day Carl Bruno’s place in the 68th minute.

Homeboyz on the other hand, had the luxury of pulling out Thiong’o in favor of Ben Mutonyi in the 72nd minute, as with the first, a goal would follow.

Mudavadi Moses was again in his troublesome self when his attempted through pass was handled in the box by All Stars. A penalty awarded in the 73rd-minute was tucked away by Allan Wanga as during the handball incident,  Mark Kwasira had gone done far out in the Homeboyz half and had to be attended to.

Wanga, nonetheless, had struck his second, and Homeboyz’s fourth of the tie. It would end this way.

The victory means Homeboyz maintain their third spot on the log as they head to 30 points from 15 matches.