Omalla, Oketch fire Western Stima back to winning ways

Western Stima FC bounced back to winning ways with a 2-0 humbling of Posta Rangers at the Moi Stadium- a round 23 Kenyan Premier League match hosted from 3 pm.

After a barren first half, Benson Omalla drew first blood for Stima after which Baron Oketch would come off the bench to seal the victory for the Powermen.

Villa Oromcan could have sent Stima up in the 9th minute had he angled his header well. Kevin Monyi- wide on Stima’s right, had sent in a sumptuous delivery. It did not take long before Villa won another aerial duel but even this one could only go over the bar. Rangers had to find a way of dealing with the long balls constantly dropped into their box.

On the opposite end of the field, goalkeeper Stephen Otieno had little to do, occasionally throwing his weight before the long balls aimed at Ezekiel Okare upfront.

At the half-hour mark, Gerson Likono managed to go past Monyi wide on Rangers’ left of attack but his second touch of the ball was too heavy and this was cleared by Maurice Ojwang- one of Stima’s center-back pairing for the day.

Maurice Ojwang of Western Stima (R) closes in on Simon Mbugua of Posta Rangers during the match [IMAGE- Fabian Odhiambo]
The opening 45 would end with Benson Omalla’s attempt being blocked by Jairus Adira who had come out of his line to deny the Stima teenager the opener.

Second Half 

The second half began with the withdrawal of Kevin Omundi in favor of Henry Onyango for the hosts, this aimed at adding firepower at the front.  Oketch Baron would soon follow in for Abdallah Chamberi five minutes later.

Four minutes after Oketch’s introduction, youngster Benson Omalla would latch onto a rebound to drive home the opener.

Coach Sammy Omollo threw in a double change in the way of Francis Nambute and Ken Mutembei. Gerson Likono and Ng’ang’a Peter was the duo rested in the 75th minute. In the 85th minute, Baron Oketch would break loose on the left flank and drove to the far-post what would seal the win for Stima.